Sunday, August 23, 2009

Samvastsari - The Last Day of Paryushan

The final and the most important day of Paryushan is Samvastsari. Samvastsari Pratikraman is done by most of the Jains in a group before the sunsets. It is a ritual of asking forgiveness from the teacher which is widened in scope to include family, friends and all other living beings present on the world. The culmination of confession is receiving forgiveness from all living beings and also granting forgiveness to all. This ritual of forgiveness is sometimes called the rite of "universal friendship". The spirit of the day is contained in the verse:

"KHAAMEMI SAVVE JEEVA

SAVVE JEEVA KHAMENTU ME

METTI ME SAVVE BHUYESU

VAIRAM MAJHAM NA KENAI"

Which means : I forgive all living beings from the bottom of my heart without any reservation who may have caused me any pain and suffering either in this life or previous lives, and I beg for the forgiveness from all living beings from the bottom of my heart without any reservation to whom I may have caused pain and suffering in this life or previous lives, knowingly or unknowingly, through my actions, talks or deeds. Let all living beings know that I have friendship with everybody and I have no revenge (enmity) towards anybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment